The Log College in Neshaminy, PA, is part of the DNA of Princeton. It operated from 1726 to 1745 under the tutelage of William Tennent. After he died, 5 of the College's alumni and faculty, including Tennent's two sons, joined Jonathan Dickinson in 1746 in Elizabeth, NJ, and became the inaugural Trustees of the newly-chartered College of New Jersey. While a plaque on Nassau Hall talks about the Log College as a direct predecessor of Princeton, the relationship is more indirect. We will have a free private tour of William Tennent’s house (which originally housed the Log College), the adjacent site where the Log College building once stood, Tennent’s gravesite, and the church in which his two sons (who also traveled to the UK to raise funds for building Nassau Hall) first preached.
This is a free event. The itinerary is as follows:
1. At 9:15 am, for folks from the PA3 region who wish to carpool, we meet at the Washington Crossing State Park (NJ side) parking lot.
2. At 10 am, we will start at the Neshaminy Cemetery, 1495 West Bristol Road, Warminster, PA 18974, where William Tennent is buried (https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/19255738/william-tennent and https://www.localcemeteries.net/bucks-county/2018/7/30/neshaminy-warwick-cemetery)
3. Then we’ll go to the Neshaminy-Warwick Presbyterian Church, 1401 Meetinghouse Road, Warminster PA 18974 Tel: 215-343-6060, where William Tennent’s sons (two of the initial trustees of Princeton, who did the fundraising for building Nassau Hall) preached their first sermons (http://www.nwpc.net/)
4. Then we're off to the William Tennent House, 880 Old York Road (PA 263), where he lived, and where the Log College was housed from 1727 to about 1735). See https://williamtennenthouse.org/
5. The sign on the road where the Log College was situated from 1736-1745, is near 885 Old York Road. https://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=21486
6. Then we'll drive some back roads in Bucks County; and finally,
7. We will end up at Conshohocken Brewery run by Ken Buonocore ’08, for some optional libations.
This is a joint event co-sponsored by the Princetoniana Committee of the Alumni Council, the Princeton Area Alumni Association, and the Princeton Club of Philadelphia.
Please let Sev Onyshkevych '83 know if you are planning to attend or have any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org